History of Hashimoto Kogando
Former Presidents of Hashimoto Kogando
Founder: Iwajiro Hashimoto
Born in Chudoji-machi, Shimogyo-ku in Kyoto City in 1860. After serving a paper wholesale dealer as an apprentice, he became an apprentice to a Hyogu shop. He founded Hashimoto Kogando in 1883. Apparently, he re-covered sliding doors and sliding screens at first, but gradually started to deal with wall scrolls as his main work. He was commissioned with gilding for both Nishi (Western) Hongwanji and Higashi (Eastern) Hongwanji temples. The work of gold paper covering for temple wall paintings also increased.
2nd President: Yasutaro Hashimoto
Born in Ushitora-cho, Shimogyo-ku in Kyoto City in 1886. Apprenticed to the 1st President. While mainly producing wall scrolls, he also traveled to Hokkaido to do gold paper covering. In this period of time, we were active in interactions with painters, such as the buying and selling of paintings.
3rd President: Sotaro Hashimoto
Born in Ushitora-cho, Shimogyo-ku in Kyoto City in 1913. Gained techniques and knowledge of Hyogu from the 2nd President and his wife. Because he was in poor health, he devoted himself to producing wall scrolls in his house. Died of an illness in 1944 at the age of 27.
4th President: Tojiro Hashimoto
Born in Ushitora-cho, Shimogyo-ku in Kyoto City in 1916. After Sotaro died, he entered into the world of Hyogu. Because of WWII, materials and other items from his ancestors were lost. From around 1950, orders for re-covering sliding doors and sliding screens increased, which then became the main work. He also started to receive orders for wall scrolls from art dealers and other clients. He established the technique of gilding based on the memory of the past and also adding some improvements. Although he was commissioned with gilding for the restoration of Nijo Castle, he didn’t get the job because his work was too clean. He taught some painters gilding.
|Company name||Hashimoto Kogando Inc.|
|Head Office ＆ Factory||522 Higashigawa-cho, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto 600-8324|
|access||3-minute walk from Gojo Station on Kyoto city subway Karasuma Line
10-minute walk from Kyoto Stations on several lines
|Business hours||9 a.m. to 6 p.m.|
|Closed||Sunday and holidays|
|Line of business||Repair and restoration of Hyoso/Hyogu|